- 1 box Banza penne
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 14-ounce canned diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup ricotta
- ¼ cup roughly chopped basil, plus more for garnish
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss eggplant with two teaspoons olive oil.
- Spread on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Roasted until golden brown, and cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- While the eggplant roasts, heat a large skillet to a medium heat. Add remaining olive oil. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, remaining salt and sugar. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until the liquid of the tomatoes has reduced. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook penne according to package directions. Reserve starchy cooking liquid.
- Add cooked pasta and eggplant to tomatoes. Toss to coat. Remove from heat and add in ricotta and basil. Gently toss until the ricotta is mostly combined, but you can still see streaks throughout.
- Garnish with extra basil and parmesan cheese