Recipe of the Week: Brought to you by Candice Oliver
Serves: 4 servings
For more delicious recipes, follow @candicelynnfitvegan on Instagram.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp each of oregano, parsley, basil, thyme (all dried)
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 stem fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 box of uncooked Banza
- 2 cups fresh spinach or 1 cup fresh kale, torn
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Set a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When it shimmers, add onions, carrots, celery, garlic and a generous pinch of salt. When you can hear the vegetables sizzling, reduce heat to medium so they don't burn. Stir occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until tender and onions are translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, veggie broth, and spices/herbs. Bring to low boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Before serving, add dried Banza and beans to the pot. Cook according to package directions, but do not rinse.
- When pasta is ready, add spinach or kale and allow to wilt. Turn off heat.
- Divide into 4 bowls, top with fresh parsley and serve with warm crusty bread.