- 1 box Banza rotini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ small onion, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup + ⅛ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup basil leaves
- Vegan parmesan cheese for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with salt - it should taste like the sea. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add in grated onion and minced garlic. Cook until softened and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, cook 1 minute. Add water, sugar, salt, and Italian seasoning. Stir until combined. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. If needed, add a little bit more water. Season to taste with salt and sugar.
- Remove from heat and add in almond milk and basil. Toss until basil is wilted.
- Garnish with grated cheese.